Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Dream Bathroom

Boy, it's been so long since I've posted anything! I'll start this post off with the promised picture of Herman, may he rest in peace.


Although I haven't cut off his arms yet, I don't think he'll be bouncing back from this. It may be time to say goodbye. I have to check his roots to see if they're still healthy; if so, I'll repot. If they're looking as sickly as the rest of him, it's time to say goodbye.

Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend! We did! On Sunday night Scott came home with a beautiful long-stemmed rose and a bottle of wine. He cooked up a delicious supper for us and we took it easy. I was pretty pooped but managed to stay up to watch a movie before hitting the sack. Then on Monday we spent the day downtown and checked out the Family Day festivities at Churchill Square before hanging out at the Hotel Mac. We had a swim (Annika's first pool swim) and relaxed - it was a great way to finish up the long weekend. Hubby gets full points for a wonderful weekend! :)

Now, on to our house hunt. Last week we checked out a couple of show homes, which was pretty interesting. So far we've visited homes by the following builders: Landmark Homes, Jayman Master Builders, and Homes by Avi. They were all very nice homes with great features (except the price of course). Some of the homes were in the outskirts of the west end (way out past 200th Street) and I'm not sure if I like that idea. The problem with new neighbourhoods and brand new homes is how they all are placed so far outside of central Edmonton. We read an article by Scott McKeen last week about the urban sprawl and how Edmonton's older, core neighbourhoods seem to be shutting down. Schools are closing and public facilities such as pools and parks are not maintained while the city spends its money on developing new roads and infrastructure for brand new neighbourhoods that are quickly spreading Edmonton into what the author calls a "fat and-happy, plus-size city with no plans to diet". To read this very interesting article, click here. The comments that follow the article are also worth a read.

It's true, unfortunately. It's cheaper and less of a headache (usually) to purchase a new home in a suburban neighbourhood. Scott and I would love to live in an older, mature neighbourhood (such as Laurier Heights) close to the river and downtown, but the price tag on existing homes is just as rich, if not pricier, than purchasing a brand new home. And for the price, you'll more likely than not purchase a home that requires quite a bit of love and attention to bring it up to snuff. Frankly, I'm not excited about buying another renovation project. We're still putting the finishing touches on this house and we started the renovations almost 3 years ago. It takes a lot of energy, patience, and TIME to renovate a home.

I love the idea of buying a house that already has the accoutrements we're hoping for in our next home, instead of stepping into another project that means we'll be living in a demo zone again! It will take time for us to figure out where we'll move to and what kind of home we'll purchase and we're not in a rush, thankfully. We plan on taking our time and making sure we're comfortable with our next move.

I'll leave you with pictures of the nearly 500 sqft bathroom in one of the Jayman Master Builder show homes. This bathroom was an absolute dream. If we were ever to purchase a home with a bathroom like this, I think I could probably rent the bathroom out to friends and family to subsidize the cost - trust me, it'd be worth the $50/half hour! Haha!
This bathroom features a beautiful, full-length closet space (wow!)

This tub is a waterfall tub...you fill it up right to the brim and it overflows into the surrounding tub. Very cool. Of course, there's a tv/dvd for your viewing pleasure while you relax in the bath with a glass of wine. Wine?? Oh yes, there's a bar in this bathroom.
This shower is programmable for up to 6 unique users. It remembers what temperature you like your water at, which jets you prefer, and the pressure. Sigh. My goodness, this bathroom would encourage laziness!

Hope you enjoyed the tour! Have a great day...I'm off to get ready for salsa babies!

Penny

1 comment:

Tanis said...

Our neighborhood is beautiful, you should look this way!! haha.